Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lima Adventues Begin

The last few days after project were quite emotional. It was difficult to say final goodbyes to all of the volunteers and my group leaders. A few people had earlier flights out of Guyana and we were in such a rush that I never got a chance to say a proper goodbye to Pauline, Erin, and Jaclyn. Some of the community members that we met in Parika came out to Georgetown to spend our last few days together. That meant a lot to see a couple of the guys we became close with take the bus out to meet us and say goodbye.

After a 5 hour layover in Trinidad, then an hour in Panama, I arrived in Lima around 1am and had no problems finding Andy (my traveling companion from Statistics Canada). He managed to make friends with a girl on the plane from Toronto who arranged for her brother to give us a lift to our hostel.

Today was my first day officially off project in South America as a traveller. I must say that I throughly enjoyed the HOT standing shower and the warm bed with a real pillow! It was also nice to share a room with only one person instead of 10 :-).

While Andy and I sat on the rooftop of our hostel planning the rest of our trip, we made friends with a couple of guys from England who`ve been traveling for a few months now. We went with them down to the waterfront for lunch (my first experience at a Hooters restaurant) and played at the beach for awhile. Now we are back to booking rooms for the rest of our adventure.

That´s all for now. Thanks for the postcards from T.O.!! They made me smile :).

°A

5 comments:

Dave said...

Have a great time in Peru! It sounds like you had quite the adventure already. We all miss you here and can't wait to see you again and hear more.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a trip. Enjoy and relax now.
Miss you and Love ya
Mim

Anonymous said...

OOPS that's mom not Mim, I should read before I send :)

Karla said...

Have fun, you crazy kids! :-D

Anonymous said...

Aww thanks Dave!! I miss you guys too. I´m kind of excited to start with HSMD. Hope your summer is going awesome and you are enjoying the nice weather!! (It´s below 0 here most evenings... bad call by me on picking Peru during their winter).