Tuesday, July 8, 2008

School's Out For The Summer

Now school has finished and the kids are coming for extra class in the mornings. I can't belive tomorrow is the last day at the school. I've really formed a bond with some of the little ones and am sad to say goodbye. It seems like every Guyanese I meet asks when I'm coming back to Guyana. I really hope I get a chance to come back and see how things have progressed here.

On Saturday we held an HIV/AIDS and ABSTINENCE workshop at the community center (where we are staying). All in all, it went pretty well. A teacher from the school (a regular teacher) came by to help out and I think we made a significant impact on those who attended.

On Sunday, we were invitied to have duck curry at a friend's place down the road and then to his private beach. It was in the town of Hubu, which is a much more privlidged village next to Parika (not too privlidged... we're still talking about out houses for toilets and limited electricity).

Today we had the environmental session in the afternoon after school. It went really well. Many of the kids from school came by and I think they learned a lot about greenhouses gases, and why it's important to reduce and reuse.

I can't believe how fast this trip has flown by. On Friday morning, we head to Georgetown to write up reports and leave feedback to the Youth Challenge Guyana crew. Then I'm off to Peru to meet up with Andy.

Stay tuned....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow i has gone fast, what an experience!
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda, thanks for including us in your excellent adventure, looks like you learned as well as taught - who's andy?

Cheers
Ted & Barbara

Anonymous said...

Andy is a friend of mine who I worked with last year at Statistics Canada. He had some vacation time and wanted to travel also -so here we are!