Friday, July 18, 2008

Cuzco - Aguas Caliente - Machu Picchu - Ollantaytambo - Cuzco



It was a relaxing first day in Lima, but we´ve been on the go ever since. After Lima, we flew to Cusco and then took the train up to Aguas Caliente to see Machu Picchu. Yesterday we climbed Mount Putukusi, the big mountain accross from Machu Picchu. It took us an exhausting hour an a half. Well to be fair it only seemed exhausting for me, Andy is a marathon runner and had no problems scaling up the ladders and rocks. It was an incredible view, once in a lifetime moment for me. Until today that is when we actually walked through Machu Picchu (a lost Inca city that was rediscovered in 1911 by an American historian). We were lucky enough to be one of the first 200 people there and were granted access to Mount Wanapicchu, which is the bigger mountain just accross. That one only took about 30 minutes to reach the peak - we were just slowed by the people everywhere. At one point you actually have to crawl through a cave to climb higher. Now we are back in Cusco for a night and looking forward to do some more exploring in this city. After that we are off to Puno and then La Paz, Bolivia!



I´m getting good with this haggling business. So far I´ve managed to talk a 60 soles taxi down to 10 and a 70 soles sweater down to 40 (did I mention that it´s freezing in Cuzco - I don´t feel silly for bringing that toque anymore!!). We also talked a restaurant down to 15 soles for a 3 course meal with the help of a Portuguese friend. My Spanish is coming in handy :-).

Es todo para ahora ¬ AH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take lots of pics, this is a trip of a lifetime.
I can't wait to hear all about it
Miss ya
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

So exciting Amanda! I knew you'd be a great bargainer...miss you lots here. I'll see you at the end of August. I'm off for my trip in a couple of weeks. lots of love

Stephxoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks Steph! I was just thinking of you the other day when I was talking about Costa Rica. I can´t wait to hear all about your trip!! Have a blast ;-)