Sunday, October 25, 2015

Graduation!


                                                         

Hello blog readers! It's nice to finally talk to you again. There was a bad storm here a few weeks ago (which made for a very intense meditation class) and the wi-fi went down and stayed down for two weeks. The school brought in some repair guys and finally had it working again last week but that was the final week of classes and I was busy working on lesson plans, preparing my final presentation and finishing up homework.

The last week was pretty hectic. I taught two 90 minutes classes to the 200-hour students (everyone else taught one class but since we were an odd number, they needed a volunteer to teach a second). I'm really glad I volunteered since I was much more comfortable the second time around and got some helpful feedback. It definitely gave me the urge to teach more when I get home. I forgot how much I love it :-).

My final presentaiton was on yogic management of common diseases. I talked about various yoga techniques that can help with headaches, arthritis, asthma, heart issues, common cold, back ache and constipation. If you want to know any of them, just let me know!

We graduated a day early since our teacher had "other duties to attend to" (as he told us). The ceremony was nice, we put on our nicest travel clothes and had a pooja (Hindu ritual) where some priests came in and chanted while offering things to various deities on our behalf. Then we did the fire dance again (where they give you a plate of candles and you squat up and down while holding it and circling the altar... I think while giving thanks. Again, I was just trying not to drop it.).
After the ceremony, they took us to a Indian restaurant and I had the best Indian food I have ever had. After 6 weeks here, you'd think I'd be able to tell you what the different dishes were but I still refer to them as "yellow mush", "green mush", "vegetables" and "soup". The entire platter is called Thali. This is what is looked like:

Yesterday was the day after graduation. It was a werid feeling knowing that there was no class to go to, no homework to finish and no schedule to follow. I treated myself to a facial and a manicure, spent 2 hours browsing bookstores, sat by the Ganges and read a book, attended a free yoga class and then went for a reiki healing/emotional blockage session. It was a pretty lovely day.

I decided not to go hiking up north. I actually really like this town and would like to stick around and do some local classes here. There are also lots of temples to hike to around here so that will give my fix. Plus, the school is letting me stay for free (and feeding me) and I don't have to pack. Win!

Talk soon!
~Amanda <3
p.s. for those that don't follow me on instagram, I got a little tattoo on my heel/ankle of a sun and moon (to represent Ha-Tha, as in hatha yoga teacher training or yin/yang, balance, ida/pingala, masculine/feminine, whatever you want!). My German friend (Julia) and I got matching ones (but hers is on her arm). It was a spontaneous decision we made while having lunch across the street from a tattoo parlor. Don't worry parents, the place was clean and safe.

No comments: