Thursday, September 24, 2015

Mind and Body: How Emotions Impact the Body


My anatomy teacher taught us a little about Psychosomatic Therapy (mind-body connection). The idea is that we have to treat mental and emotional issues, not just the physical ones. This is not a ground-breaking discovery but what is super facinating is how different emotions are connected to specific parts of the body. For example, pain on the left side of the body is feminine and pain on the right side of the body is masculine. So that pain in your right knee could be because of concern/fear for a man in your life. I'd like to do some more reading about this but here is a short list of some of the more common issues in case anyone is interested (if anyone is actually reading this!):

Upper back - Feel unloved, holding back love, vulnerable, resentment
Middle back - Guilt, stuck in past
Lower back - Financial woes and concerns
Calves and feet - Fear of the future
Carpal Tunnel - Anger and frustrations at life's seeming injustices
Colds - Mental confusion
Earache - Anger
Elbow - Not wanting to change directions or accept new experiences
Hands - Fear of new ideas
Hips - Fear of taking major decision, balance, movement and sexuality
Insomnia - Tension, guilt, fear
Joints - Pessimism, stuck emotions
Knees - Ego, pride, stubborn pride, inflexibility, fear
Lungs - Depression, grief, not feeling worthy
Neck - Inflexibility, stubbornness
Ribs - Sense of protection, vulnerability
Shins - Not living up to own high standards
Shoulders - Burden (over-burdened). Dependence on others. Carrying their burden.
Sinus - Irritation to someone close to you
Stomach - Perfectionism and injustice
Thighs - Childhood trauma
Throat - Feeling unable to express self, repressed anger and emotional hurt
Thyroid - Humiliation, feeling repressed or put down, never getting to do what you want
Warts - Hate for the self, guilt, feeling ugly
Wrists - Feeling restricted, not handling things with ease, stubbornness

What do you think, any of these ring true?





5 comments:

Shirley Halladay said...

Hmm my knee is killing me :)
Glad you are enjoying the trip!

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda!
I'm not sure if you remember me. We met at Kino's workshop in Toronto last year. I was with my friend Casey. Anyway, you mention in this post that you were not sure if anyone is reading your blog....I AM! :) And I am really enjoying it! So keep 'em comin!
What a great life experience journey you are on!
Be well.
Peace and light,
Carole

Amanda B said...

Hi Carole! Of course I remember you and Casey! I have you guys to thank for my extra long manduka mat ;-). Thanks so much for reading and commenting! It's nice to know there's someone out there besides my parents haha. Have you ever studied in Mysore? I'm headed there in November and am getting excited! Hope you are well too. Namaste :-)

Unknown said...

No, I never have studied in Mysore. I am loving your posts! And am SO impressed with how much you have read this week! I like that quote from your teacher re excuses and improvement. I may just need to apply it to myself.
Peace and light, Carole :)

Aileen said...

Amanda! I'm reading too! I'm just behind :) I'm loving your updates and it looks like you're having some beautiful times. Keep the posts coming!