Thursday, September 17, 2015

Lay of the Land




Just finished day 4 and I am starting to feel comfortable here. This is what the daily schedule looks like:

6:30am - Tea and Kriya (Neti Pot - where you pour water into one nostril and the water comes out the other one. The goal is to cleanse your nose and better prepare you for pranayama (breathing).)
7am - Pranayama and Mantras
7:30am - Asana (postures)
9am - Breakfast
10am - Yoga Philosophy
11:15am - Yoga Anatomy
12:30pm - Self practice
1:15pm - Lunch
2pm - Library and self study (i.e. homework!)
5pm - Asana class
7:15pm - Dinner
8:15pm - Group Meditation
10pm - Lights out

I kind of enjoy the big chunk of time in the middle of the day for self practice and self study. The first day I spent it sleeping and dealing with jet-lag (and was late for asana practice, whoops and sorry everyone for that lecture about being on time); the second day I went to a juice hut with another girl who has been here awhile and showed me around; the third day was spent at the library brushing up on the nervous system, endocrine system, respiratory system, lymphatic system, digestive system and musculoskeletal system; and today I finally ventured out to town by myself.

Once you get over the smells, Rishikesh is a pretty awesome town. There are yoga studios on every corner, friendly people everywhere you go and tons and tons of shops that sell everything from electronics, medecine, books, clothes... you name it.

Lessons learned: Did not need that fleece hoodie, wool socks, long johns, a toque or mittens. Clothes pins and a rope would have been a good idea to pack. Oh and I am no longer using my fancy water bottle since I dropped the lid and straw in the toilet.

Tomorrow we are doing a few different kriyas (purification systems) so I will be sticking a piece of cloth down my throat and throwing up. Next week, we stick tumeric up our bums. I wish I was joking. Wish me luck.

This is what the yard at the yoga school looks like:



I am off to hit the sack now but I have wi-fi and can easily be reached on facebook :-). I have an Indian cell # too (thanks Kaush!), it'll cost long distance but the number is 918828477948. I haven't used it yet so best to try me on facebook first. Nighty night!

2 comments:

Shrley Halladay said...

Sounds amazing!

Melly said...

Haha best of luck with the Tumeric, my friend. Xo ;)