Sunday, September 13, 2015

From Smelly Delhi to Rishikesh


After more than 36 hours of travel, I have arrived safely at the yoga school in Rishikesh. I already have mixed feelings about India but all in all, they are positive. I've only been here for one day but feels like a week already and I have so much to tell. I will try to summarize.

Plane Ride - Awesome. I'm a big fan of Finnair and would recommend anyone who takes them get the Asian Vegetarian Meal option. My food was way better than the regular stuff.

Airport in Delhi - Reminded me of the Ottawa airport but way hotter and smellier. Did not feel any culture shock and was not swarmed by taxi drivers (but I was ready!).

Taxi Driver - Super nice and found me right away. Drove like a maniac though, similar to San Jose in Costa Rica (they use the horn far more than the breaks and just take traffic signals, road dividers and sidewalks as suggestions). I had one panic moment though when we went to pick up two other yogis from a hostel in Delhi. They were still asleep apparently and the taxi driver went and got the hostel owner who suggested that I wake them up (what?). So I got in this tiny rickety elevator to go to the third floor with this strange guy (did I mention that there was no sign for this hostel anywhere?) and all of a sudden the advice from my "India survival guide for women" clicked in and I got out of the elevator and told him I didn't feel comfortable and that I would wait outside. Turns out I freaked out over nothing because 10 minutes later these super nice people appeared. I guess there was miscommunication and the cabbie and hostel owner thought they were my friends. We are definitely friends now after 7 hours of traveling in a small car together though!

Drive from Delhi to Rishikesh - Pretty much what I expected. Lots of people, cows, dogs, pollution, poverty and beautiful scenery. Once I got to Rishikesh, the cab dropped us off and then a motorcycle had to bring me to my room at the school. This was by far the scariest experience so far. I hiked my skirt up, hopped on the back of this motorcycle with my luggage and the driver sped like a speed demon through seas of people, animal feces, cows, cars, over a pedestrian bridge that was jam packed with Indians and tourists and cyclists. He just honked and powered through. I had to close my eyes for most of it, I really don't know how he was able to get through some of the crowds.

Yoga School- The other students are all really nice and I look forward to learning from them. There are people from Mexico, Germany, Turkey, Canada, USA, Australia and many other places that I have yet to discover. Once I got here, I had just enough time for a cold shower before heading over to orientation, which was really a big ceremony with chanting, food, jewelrey and rice on our foreheads. At one point we all took turns holding these plates of candles and sort of did a dancing ritual over an alter. I have to admit that I was really struggling to stay awake durring the entire ceremony and when they handed me a plate of fire, all I could think was Don't Drop This! Luckily, all went well and the building is still standing.

I just had dinner (roti with veggie stew and split pea soup) and am so ready to hit the sack. I just hope I can make it up for 6am neti-pot cleansing. Wish me luck! I have wi-fi in my room so I'll try to update every now and then when I have time. Oh and if you want to see, here is what my room looks like for the next 6 weeks:
~Namaste~

(p.s. Namaste literally means "hello" in Hindi... I found that neat)

4 comments:

Shirley Hallada said...

Awesme update, keep them coming!

Michael said...

Wonderful update. Thx. Have fun and peace!

Melly said...

I'm just catching up now!!! Although some of your updates scare me (I feel like I was in that elevator and on the back of the motorcycle with you!!! Yikes!l) I am so happy to hear you are there safe and settling in. Love tagging along with you on this journey. Miss you and Namaste! Xoxo

Amanda B said...

Aww thanks Melly! Miss you too! Namaste :-) xo