Thursday, November 25, 2010

Schoolies


Schoolies are high school students that are on vacation for 3-4 weeks (even though it is called "schoolies week") and they have taken over Byron's Bay with their goon bags (cheap box wine that has fish guts in it). I learned last night that they all flock to certain towns at certain times... but they pretty much rule all the beaches. Check it out: http://www.schoolies.com/2010/ or also in the australian daily telegraph: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/schoolies-gone-wild/story-e6freuy9-1225957930162.

So schoolies aside, I'm having a great time in Byron Bay. It's a town where everyone walks around in bare feet and is either coming from or going to the beach. I had my first surfing lesson today and I didn't totally suck, yahoo! Tomorrow I'm going to try again and will snap some photos to post :).

Somehow with all the schoolies in town, I managed to get a room with 3 Irish the same age as me who were on holiday, a fun german guy who had lots of travel tips and 2 aussie girls. Oh and guess what else I found today?! A hoop school... yay. I'm going to a class tomorrow night. Can't wait.

Some new aussie words:

Swimmers - bathing suit
Sunnies - sunglasses
Wettie - wet suit
Singlet - tank top

That's all for now.

~Amanda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So cool that you get to try surfing! And it's obviously awesome that the weather allows you to swim...in the ocean! Enjoy! Can't wait to see 'creepers' (Aussie way to say 'photos'? ;-P)
Geneviève