Thursday, December 3, 2015

Treat Yo Self: Hot Wheels and New Digs


I have been meaning to write this post for three weeks now... my bad. I was not loving the house that I was staying at in Mysore so I moved. The people were great but the room was small and dark and very very loud (a cafe was being built on the other side of my wall). Instead of being upset about it, I decided to treat myself to an upgrade (which might have been inspired from watching an episode of Parks and Recreation where Adam Scott buys himself an awesome Batman costume on "Treat Yo Self Day"). I moved into a sweet one bedroom flat above an adorable elderly couple and rented myself a scooter.

Here is the place (if I come back, I am brining a hoop... pefect hooping space is hard to find!):

And here is the scooter:

Having a scooter allowed me to really go exploring and feel more like a local and not like a tourist. I was warned not to drive in India (hey Kaush!) but I have to say I LOVED it! It seems like chaos, non-stop honking and no rules but there ARE unspoken/non-legal rules. Yellow light means go as fast as you can, red light means stop unless you can go (then giv'r) and there is no such thing as a green light. Even the walk symbol for pedestrians is red when it means walk (I guess it means walk but only if it's safe to do so, cars won't stop for you so you're on your own). When you turn into traffic, there is no need to look over your shoulder (but don't worry parents, I still did it). Drivers just go and the rest of traffic knows they are going to pull out and slows down to let them in. Then drivers give a little honk, just to let them know they are there. It's not an agressive honk, it just means... hey I'm beside you and I'm probably going to pass you, don't hit me please. I get it and I love it. It's like being in a video game. Even driving on the left side of the road came naturally. It took me right back to the first time I rode a scooter in Bermunda (and fell off... err... umm... yeah, that happened but only the one time).

During my final few weeks in India, I took another cooking class, did a bike tour around Srirangaptnam Island, explored Mysore palace, got a (free) ayurveda massage from a massage student (that was amazing), had another reiki treatment, went to the mall, the movies, the zoo and basically scootered all over the place taking pictures of temples and other pretty things. Oh and small world, the girl who gave me the massage is from Almonte, Ontario (near Ottawa) and we have many friends in common. Such a small world!

Here are a few pics:


My yoga made some small progress, I got better at holding headstand, am comfortable in mariychasana d, and can come back up from bhujapidasana now. I still have some work to do though... definitely not ready for advanced series yet. But I am totally fine with that.

Next up is a few days in Paris and then back to Ottawa!

No comments: