Monday, December 20, 2010

Bienvenue au Canada!

I have arrived back in a country where they know what green peppers are and the word "capsicum" does not exist, chips are potato chips (not french fries), recycling bins are everywhere, the money is colourful and the coins are light and plentiful. I no longer hear "How you goin' mate?" from everyone I meet and socks, sweaters and toques are around every turn.

Weather around the world has been affecting flights everywhere, including mine. Some strong winds in Sydney caused a two hour delay, causing me to miss my connecting flight to Ottawa. I'm now on an afternoon flight from Vancouver to Winnipeg and then on a late flight from Winnipeg to Ottawa (that gets in some 30 hours after I left Melbourne). The ticket guy at Air Canada gave me a lunch voucher and told me to grab a coffee so I don't fall asleep. So far so good - but I still have 12 hours to go. Wish me luck!

Fun fact about australia:
Trucks are not common there, instead people drive UTEs (utility vehicles) that look like trucks but have a car body... strange things, but they grew on me (especially the purple ones :))

No comments: