Thursday, June 5, 2008

Project Description

First off I just want to say thank you so much to all who donated and help make this project a reality for me.  I would not be able to take advantage of this opportunity without the support of my friends and family and I am forever grateful!  Through combined efforts, nearly $2000 was raised.  The fundraising has not ended yet however, so if  you would still like to donate, you can do so at http://yci.takingitglobal.org/ind/halladay.  

Now that that is out of the way, you'd probably like to know exactly what I will be doing :-).  I will be joining 9 other Canadians along with a couple of Australians and traveling to the community of Parika in Region 3 of Guyana (the country is broken into 10 Regions).  On the map below, Parika is about 1 mm left of Georgetown.  

The main focus of our work will be as teaching assistants in the high school to help improve the youth literacy so they can perform better on their Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) exams.  We will also organize various after school programs for the students, including: reading clubs, cricket and other sports activities, life skills games, HIV/AIDS awareness sessions, and women's and gender workshops.  
Our weekends will be filled with more recreational/reading/life skills activities, painting pedestrian crossings, and parenting games/groups.  

As you can see, I have my work cut out for me!  The first day of training starts tomorrow and then my flight is Monday!!  Check back soon for more updates.  

~ Amanda     

No comments: