Friday, June 27, 2008

Miss Amanda The Teacher

So I now understand what Jocelyn has been going through this last year (friend who has just completed her first year of teaching grade 4). We are working full days at the school now. I spent my first few days with the grades 4-6 (I counted 55 kids at one point). That was a handful. Kids were yelling and acting out. I found it hard to gage what level they were at because some were able to write out answers to questions I put on the board with no problems and others couldn't even write their names. One afternoon we started acting out a novel (I though of that idea on the fly - it was a life saver). My favourite group so far though was with the grade 3s. We did a clean up day at the school (my class didn't participate though, it was only for grades 4 and up) and had the primary and secondary kids race to pick up garbage around the school. I just talked to the class about the environment, garbage, and pollution (by the way, there is no recycling at all in Guyana... sometimes cans get shipped to Canada to recycle). We did a word search, played hang man, and I read them some stories. They acted out but I was able to handle them. I may have been a little stern ha (I took away some marbles, and separated some kids) but in the end I think they learned the most. It has been quite a challenge because we are pretty much teaching the entire school without the actual teacher's help. We come up with lesson plans the night before and just kind of wing it as we go. I definately have more respect for my elementary school teachers now after this experience!!

I have about 15 days left in Parika and then it's wind-down in Georgetown. For the next couple of weeks we are planning some after school reading workshops, an HIV/AIDS and abstinence session, and a session about the environment. So far there has been some positive work done and I'm looking forward to the rest of it. I'll be in touch. I can't wait for a hot shower. Next time I'll talk about the food (and that time that we had half a piece of bread for dinner and crackers for breakfast yum).

-AH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work - we're thinking of you always!

One month countdown until we get to hear all about it (and more!) in person!

Love ya lots! :)