Monday, June 16, 2008

Eureka ~ Parika has an internet cafe!

After one week at Camp Kayuka (about an hour from the airport) doing training workshops and getting to know everyone, I have arrived at my project. Turns out that I am not roughing it as much as I expected. There were 3 projects going out from Camp Kayuka. The other two groups were going for 8 weeks into the interior (the jungle). One group went to Mahdia (region 8) and the other went to Parashara (region 9). I am in a city of a couple thousand on the coast (region 3). We have electricity and even a shower! Well the shower is more like the bottom part of a shower tap - so it's Japanese style squat showers.

We are staying in the lower part of a government building. We have a security guard at all times and tend to walk around in a group. Our leaders are 2 locals from Guyana so they have been teaching us the Guyanese ways.

We just went to the school today to meet with the head of the school. We got quite a reaction from the kids - from everyone actually. It's like we are on parade. Little kids yell and tell their families ("White people!") and the men hiss at us. Everyone stares.

I'll post a few photos next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Showers? I suppose that's what you get when there's no convenient snow to rub yourself down with! Sounds pretty interesting.